Sunday, November 4, 2018

Let's talk health.

I am a firm believer in eating clean, but not denying yourself the little things. 


When I was in high school I developed body image issues. It wasn't ever about anyone else making me feel bad about my size, but more about how I viewed myself and the other girls around me. They were all so much skinnier than I was, they didn't have to pull up their jeans when they stood up and they could sit with their knees at their chest and not be gasping for air, and I was so jealous of them. Now, I wasn't "fat" but I for sure wasn't a size 6 or smaller like everyone else. Actually, My entire high school years I stayed in the healthy BMI range for my height. But that wasn't good enough for me. So I did the diets, I exercised and did everything I could to try and get skinnier. Fast forward through all the details and I ended up getting to the point of borderline anorexia. The thing is, the world would have looked at me and said that I was fine because I still wasn't "skinny", but I wasn't. I wouldn't eat for weeks at a time and if I felt like I was going to pass out or was light headed I would eat a small slice of watermelon or a few pieces of a cucumber.
I got sick, But once I got better I ended up on the other end of the spectrum. I was eating just fine, but I was also gaining weight. I was working for a very large coffee chain at the time and all those sugary drinks didn't help any. Right as I was getting into a groove of healthy eating and exercising I was injured and was on bed rest, and because it was a head injury guess what! I gained a crap ton of weight.

I was not healthy, and I did not have a good relationship with food or myself. So there's a small back story as to why I am doing what I am doing now.

After the Mom Mastery Live 2018 conference I decided that there is no better time than the present to finally do that juice cleanse that I've been talking about for the last 2 years.  

November 1st - 3rd I did the Pressed Juicery juice cleanse 1.  My whole goal in doing any type of cleanse, especially this one was to reset and reboot my body, my metabolism, my hormones, etc...
By doing that cleanse it totally helped me to reset my mind to have a positive outlook on nutrition and what the purpose of food really is. It's not supposed to be a negative thing or a punishment for your body. If I slip up and eat a cookie, I don't need to feel the overwhelming guilt that I failed, or that I need to skip the next meal because I already messed up. I learned that just because I wanted to enjoy a fresh hot chocolate chip cookie I didn't fail, I can't fail. Failing would mean that there was rules and regulations put in place, instead of the choice to live in moderation and freedom. I choose to eat clean but also live my life to the fullest. So this cleanse was the first step in the new direction that my life is going. I started the Whole30 today and I am going to be doing that for 60 days before I do my next juice cleanse at the beginning of the New Year.

I logged how I felt each day of the cleanse, in like a real life kind of way. I am in my mid-twenties and a nanny so my days are all over the place. I wasn't able to drink the juice exactly every 2 hours like it is recommended, but I did drink everything each day. So that's a win!  

Lastly, last night after my last drink of the cleanse, I did a "self-care" night. I did a face mask and a detox shower, lotion and all the good stuff to help the outside of my body feel just as good as the inside. It was wonderful. I woke up this morning feeling to refreshed and happy. I don't know that I even have the words to describe how good I feel, it's something that you'll have to experience for yourselves.

I chose to document my juice cleanse on Instagram, go to _Samantha_Graham_ and look at the "highlights" to see it.

Pressed Juicery Juice Cleanse: Cleanse 1 Daily Log.

11/1/18  Day 1:
I started my juices at 9am and ended around 10pm. 13 hours to drink all 6 juices and the 2 waters that come with in in addition to my 150 oz of regular water that I drink. I felt pretty good this morning and kept feeling good till about 1:40pm. I knew that I needed to start my next juice but I was to scared that I would be hungry later in the evening that I waited. Wrong move. I should have just drank the juice then, I took a power nap and then drank the next bottle of juice. I felt so good and was clear headed until about 9:30pm. That's when I got super tired and was ready to sleep. Over all it was really not that hard, I was able to drink each juice at a pace that worked for me, and I wasn't too hungry. I definitely had a moment where I really wanted an In N Out burger... But I drank my greens 3 and some water to push past that craving. Over all at the end of the day it was really good. I felt clear headed and like my body was happy and very obviously less bloated.

11/2/18  Day 2:
Today was a bit more difficult... I woke up with a headache not too stoked on that (clearly from detoxing) and was a bit more irritable than usual. BUT I took some Advil and started my day. After the vanilla almond drink I was still extremely tired and a little cranky, so I drank some Yerba Mate and another 32.oz of water. I was "going" all day long, so even when I was hungry I didn't drink each juice when I should have. But hey, that's real life. I also notices that I was ridiculously tired, like, more that day 1 and more that usual. I took a power nap between job 1 and my evening plans. It helped a lot. I felt better and much less lethargic after. My over all feeling has been really good though, I am really liking and enjoying this cleanse. BUT I am really looking forward to and excited to eat a salad on Sunday when this is over.

11/3/18  Day 3:
I slept in and I LOVED it! This week my sleep schedule has been a little off.. So it's taking me a little longer to drink all the juices today, but I feel GREAT! I feel absolutely no bloating and my mind is clearer than it has been in forever. My body isn't sore, or irritable like it has been in the past. I haven't even thought about or craved junk food (burgers are not junk food). After this I can't wait to dive right into the Whole30 tomorrow. It took me so long to drink all the bottles of juice today because I was way less hungry today than I have been, which is a good sign. My stomach must be shrinking. I am very well hydrated, each day I drank an additional 150.oz of regular water.  I really really loved and enjoyed every part of this cleanse. I am so looking forward to doing my next cleanse in January.

XO
Stay Strong, Stay Blonde

No comments:

Post a Comment